Monday, July 7, 2008

"Black Jacks" and MIRACLES do happen!!!

Guess what???? You'll NEVER guess in a million years because surprises are the nature of miracles. Here is one for you!

Photobucket

What?!? Just me and some dude???? Don't be disappointed there is an excellent story here.

This is my dear cousin. We were very close as children but we made life choices that took us away from one another for 15 years. I have traveled half way around the globe to be reunited with him. But neither of us knew nor planned for this to happen. He is a teacher at a German school in Seoul and has been for 6 years. Since he is a teacher he gets the Summers off and since I am my own boss we have been able to catch up. He is approximately a 2 hour subway ride away from our house. It is so indescribably nice to have family here. We are having so much fun rediscovering all the quirky little things we have in common; coming from the same gene pool. He is like the brother I always wanted. So Yay!
And Andy loves him too! So double Yay!!!

My cousin lives close to Itaewon which is sort of the American section of Seoul. And in Itaewon he showed me a black market where American products can be found and bought for outrageous sums of money. I call all the little "black market" shops "Black Jacks". There are several around our town too.
Photobucket
This shop is like a very large closet. Notice that it is completely non-descript with not even a name for the shop.
Photobucket
All these products are quite recognizable. Let's see if I can recall some of the prices correctly: A bag of Doritos's = $5.00, Deodorant $8.00, Mouthwash $12.00, can of re-fried beans $6.00. The robbery goes on.
Apparently, the Koreans who are hired to work on the US military bases get shopping privileges at the commissaries and this is what often happens as a result. The profit that can be made must be too tempting.
There are a lot of Americans who live in Korea who do not have access to American products like we do (being military) so this is a place where they can go and get what is familiar to them.

Wow huh??

Thanks to cuz for risking life and limb for these photos!

7 comments:

Maureen said...

that is such a lovely story - and what a coincidence! I think the two of you look very much alike.

Unknown said...

OMGosh! That is so incredibly cool that you have a cousin in Korea at the same time. How cool is that?!? What a fun post to read. I am really happy for you that you have that connection there.

Tattycat said...

Wow. They say it is a small world, but this is the best example of it I have ever seen! I am happy for both of you that you have each other there. Have loads of fun. maureen is right - you do look alike.

The Hussy Housewife said...

That is STELLAR!! He has your coloring and some other features. I love when that stuff happens. As for the blackjacks..I will send you a care package of anything you want..just send me a list of goods with address. Unless you already have every thing you need at the base? Or wait..maybe we could get in on the highway robbery..I send you food...you then sell it to the blackjacks..then they sell it to desperate americans over there....deal?? That way, the extra income could help fund my scrapbooking hobby and your tatting hobby!

What is a little jail time?? I mean really.

Soory, now your blog has been red flagged my the pentagon! Ohh Fiddle sticks.

Tattycat said...

Now you've done it. As a law abiding citizen, I'm gonna have to turn you both in! Sad too, Sherry being my adopted daughter and all!

Crazy Pences said...

Lala,
Jaime is another cousin and I am certain that "CRAZY" runs in our gene pool!

Tattycat said...

So, how many of you "crazy" cousins are there?
Lala