Saturday, June 7, 2008

Seoul: Part 1

We finally got a day off to travel to Seoul. Andy and I are still both sick and probably shouldn't have gone but we were getting super bored so we decided "what the hay"! We had so many amazing experiences that I am going to have to break this into several parts. So we will start with the train ride:
We live less than a 5 minute walk from the train station so it is really handy.
Photobucket
Mind you, this is a weekday so I shudder to think what the weekend crowd looks like.
Photobucket
Can you see how packed each train car is?
Photobucket
Here is a look on the inside. Some people might think this is really fun. Like Andy for instance who is taller than everybody in Korea, and no matter how crowded it gets, he is always a head above everyone and can still see and breathe. But for little ol' me who has developed severe claustrophobia in crowds this was TORTURE!!!
Koreans have no problem being packed in like sardines and bumping into one another and stepping on each other's toes. When we got off the train to transfer to a different line someone literally shoved me out of their way. Under normal circumstances I would have punched this person right in the nose. Fortunately for the Koreans I read that this behaviour is part of their culture and is not considered rude. With that in mind I was not offended and considered it a part of the experience.
I love how the Koreans use cartoons to depict concepts. Like these "be considerate" cartoons in the train cars;
Photobucket
They are pretty self explanetory. I like the big guy cartoon. I call this one the "no sumo wrestlers". And I think one of them is "don't spit coffee in other people's faces" which I am so glad they posted because spitting coffee in someone's face was on my list of "to do's" for the day.


More to come soon, but we wanted to break it down into bite size pieces.

4 comments:

Tattycat said...

More, More! I like visiting Korea without having to leave my home or deal with claustrophobia. Besides that, since they took me off of my hormones, I'm afraid someone would get punched in the nose! Rude or not. Thank you for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

I love it. I wish I was rich so I could be there traveling in the land of Korea. I love you bunches!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm with TattyCat...living in Korea vicariously through you!

The Hussy Housewife said...

You brave soul...I would freak too with the crowding! Comics are great...I think I may look into getting some to post around my House!